A companion to the upcoming book of similar title, this blog gives recipes to make your own homemade and healthy Meals Ready to Eat. Whether you prepare these for survival in emergency situations or to provide healthy meals for work and camping/backpacking, or if you just need portion control for your diet, there are recipes here for nearly everyone! // ALL ingredients are dehydrated or freeze-dried, or shelf-stable, and all recipes are for one serving. // At least ONE new recipe will be added each week.

MIJ Diet: Lentil and Rice Soup

As my last post mentioned, I decided to help my weight loss along by using Meals In Jars (MIJ), aka Homemade Healthy MREs.

My "diet"  requirements:
  • gluten-free
  • tasty
  • filling
  • healthy
  • dairy-free (as much as possible)
  • low-sugar (pre-diabetic .. although I would rather use raw sugar and honey than asparatame!)
  • low-sodium (I have high blood pressure)
So, the other day, I made my go-to dinner for the family: lentil and rice soup. This time, I made it from mostly dehydrated or shelf-stable ingredients.
  • Lentils (pre-cooked and dehydrated)
  • Rice, Brown (instant)
  • Mixed Soup Veggies (I get these at the local Vitamin Cottage)
  • Garlic powder (NOT salt)
  • Chicken bouillon powder (low sodium)
Because I made this at home, I also added a dollop of bacon grease! I know, not the healthiest choice, but bacon makes otherwise bland meals quite delicious!

To make this yourself, use the same amount for rice as you do with lentils. Add a couple of tablespoons of mixed dried veggies, and season to taste.

VEGAN: eliminate the bacon grease!

No comments:

Post a Comment