A companion to the upcoming book of similar title, this blog gives recipes to make your own homemade and healthy Meals Ready to Eat. Whether you prepare these for survival in emergency situations or to provide healthy meals for work and camping/backpacking, or if you just need portion control for your diet, there are recipes here for nearly everyone! // ALL ingredients are dehydrated or freeze-dried, or shelf-stable, and all recipes are for one serving. // At least ONE new recipe will be added each week.

Bad news plus gluten-free

I got a call on Wednesday from my gastroenterologist.  He said that even tho he still isn't 100% what's causing my nausea, bloating and abdominal pain, he has the results of some of my tests.

I have cirrhosis of the liver.  Non-alcoholic.  Which means, I either got it from meds I've been on for a long time, plus over-the-counter pain relievers like acetaminophen, ibuprofen and naprosen, but also probably from being overweight for so long.

PLEASE LOSE weight NOW!  You don't want to end up like me, ok?

Anyway, he didn't tell me how bad the cirrhosis is.  Could be reversible, or could be near transplant stages.  He insisted that his office make time for him to meet with me, so we're meeting on Nov 17 so he can give me the particulars.

Plus, he has the results of my cortisol stimulation test.  I'm slow.  Duh.  He wants me to see an endocrinologist, so I've found one in his same building and asked my PCP to send over a referral.  Hope the endo doc sees it soon and gets back with me before the end of the year. 

The gastro doc also suggested that even tho my colonoscopy and endoscopy/upper g.i. show no indication of me being celiac, that I should do it for at least 30 days and see if I feel better. So, now I have to re-think my instant meal plan.  Why?

Because many "instant" products, like mashed potatoes, oatmeal, rice, lunchmeat, etc, have gluten in them.  And because I have cirrhosis, I am researching what I need to eat for that.

Bear with me, please.  It's frustrating but if changing my diet to be gluten-free and for liver problems, then maybe I'll feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment